|Senior Director, Employee Benefits, Level MSE7|
|POSITION TITLE:||Senior Director, Employee Benefits, Level MSE7|
|To manage and direct professional staff in the design, implementation and administration of District-wide employee group insurance and capital accumulation benefit plans in compliance with federal and state rules and regulations.|
- Represents the District to external consultants, legal counsel, federal and state regulatory agencies and collective bargaining units.
- Monitors benefit industry trends and legislative and regulatory initiatives to resolve and anticipate needs and strategies for continued compliance with governmental rules and regulations.
- Supervises assigned personnel (hires, disciplines, evaluates, directs, assigns, approves requests, etc.).
- Devises, implements, applies and amends Employee Benefits Policies and Procedures, as appropriate.
- Prepares annual Employee Benefits budget to forecast costs, based on projected plan participation and premium rates.
- Negotiates annual insurance contract renewals, based on analysis of plan utilization data, to promote the most effective use of the District's employee benefit expenditures.
- Coordinates insurance carrier open bidding process in compliance with New Mexico state law, and evaluates carrier proposals for plan administration; provides recommendation for contract awards.
- Prepares and presents to senior management, including the Insurance Committee of the Board of Education, proposals for benefit plan amendments, subject to the terms of applicable collective bargaining agreements.
- Adjudicates employee requests for exceptions to government regulations, established Employee Benefit Policies and Procedures, insurance contract provisions, e.g., eligibility requirements, late enrollment, covered medical expenses, etc..
- Oversees the maintenance and confidentiality of active and retired employee files for the initiation/termination of premium payments and status changes.
- Reviews and approves monthly premium statements and billing reconciliation for each insurance contract; authorizes premium payments to insurance carriers.
- Monitors administration of Pre-tax Insurance Premium Plan, in compliance with IRC Sec. 125 governing cafeteria benefit plans.
- Maintains communications with all employee groups, including senior management and the Board of Education.
- Facilitates IRC Sec. 403(b) tax deferred annuity program through employee file maintenance and initiation of payroll deducted contributions.
- Supervises processing of life insurance and total & permanent disability claims.
- Prepares and monitors status of appeals made by employees.
- Oversees retirement plan administration, including preparation of employee benefit estimates and the timely completion of regular and disability retirement applications.
- Directs the administration of COBRA continuation of health and dental benefit coverages, and the continuation of benefits for employees on approved leaves of absence and employees on unpaid summer leave.
- Resolves administrative problems with carrier representatives and plan providers.
Prepares and submits required government reports, e.g., IRS Form 5500, Medicare audits, etc
- Responds to external surveys requesting information on the District's benefits program.
|PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE:|
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Flexibility, organization, decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Interpersonal skills with diverse populations in-person and on the telephone.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects.
- Ability to coordinate the work of others.
- Knowledge of word processing, database and spreadsheet software.
- Leadership and supervisory skills.
- Knowledge of purchasing and budgeting.
- Knowledge of federal and state rules and regulations governing capital accumulation and welfare benefit plans, e.g., ERISA, COBRA, IRC Sections 125 and 403(b), minimum benefit standards, New Mexico Department of Insurance Code, etc.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Seven years of progressively responsible leadership experience in employee benefit administration, insurance or related field
|Contact: Todd Torgerson at / Todd.Torgerson@aps.edu|
256 days/8 hours
|Apply to www.aps.edu. Administrative Application. A cover letter and resume must be submitted prior to 4:00 PM on the closing date of the advertisement for the application to be considered complete.|
|GROUP / GRADE:||256 days/8 hours|
|SALARY:||Annual Salary: $84,912|