1. Print out the state exam content outline. (Certain topics are questioned more than others. Learn to prioritize what you need to study.)
Click here to download a copy of the exam content outline for the test you are planning to take.
2. Utilize practice exams. Whether you are using the
Exam Simulator or QBank:
- Score an 80% or better consistently.
- Take notes while taking the practice exam. What did you get wrong and do you understand why you got it wrong?
3. Time Management:
- Don't cram the night before.
- After taking prep class, spend the next 2 to 3 days going over material.
- Study the most difficult items first (the areas you feel weaker in)
- Get a good nights sleep the night before and take a mental break on the morning of.
4. Scratch Paper:
When taking the exam, they will give you a peice of scratch paper. Before you start the test, write down everything you can think of - formulas, acronyms, charts - anything you want to make sure you remember.
5. Read the Full Question:
- Usually what the question is getting at is in the last sentance.
- Break down the question and know what it's asking.
- 1st, read the question. 2nd, read the question again and answer it. 3rd, go over it a third time, make sure you're confident and ready to move on - do this with every question.
- Weed out extra information.
- Don't sit and think about it for too long - usually the first answer you chose is the correct one.
6. Pace Yourself:
- Don't race through it.
- Don't spend too long on one question. If you're not sure of an answer, mark it and if you have time at the end of your test, you can go back and review it.
- Get yourself on a nice and steady rhythm.
7. Watch Out for "Except" Questions:
- "Except", "Never" and "Always" - are words that can throw you off.
- All the questions on the exam are multiple choice - if you get stuck, look at your choices and decide which one does not belong.
8. Know the Testing Site:
- Know where you're going
- Leave early
- It is best to schedule your exam earlier in the day
- Remember, it's good to be nervous, just be confident!